Thursday, March 13, 2014

Of all the freaky coincidences...

Of all the freaky coincidences I've experienced, this makes the top ten of my life so far. Possibly this is the most freaky thing that's happened to me since I randomly ran into my kindergarten teacher in a foreign country.

So, what is this freaky thing I'm speaking of? It's a book series called Seaborn by Chris Howard. You see, I've been thinking about making a graphic novelization of my book series, so I decided to check out some comics with related stories. Chris Howard not only has a novel series with a graphic novelization of it, but there are freakish similarities to my series. Our characters and plots are different for the most part, but here is a list what's the same. (Note: This is only based on what I've read so far.)

1. The main character is a sea creature with magical powers. She's a girl with brown hair and blue eyes...and her name is Kassandra. I freaked when I saw this! There's only a one letter difference. He used a K. I used a C.
2. Kassandra was taken from her people when she was a baby and grows up far away from the ocean, then she discovers that she is a mystical sea creature. Oh... and she's also royalty, which my character is pretty much the equivalent of.

This beyond weird! What's worse is that people might accuse me of copying Chris Howard's story. He started his series a year or more before I began writing The Ocean's Call  in 2011.

Here's what's different as far as I can tell from reading the Seaborn comics. For simplicity's sake, let's just call these two characters K and C.
1. K is raised in some kind of boarding school, where she is constantly abused by the woman in charge, as well as most of the kids. C, on the other hand, had a normal, happy childhood until she moved to the ocean.
2. Also, K doesn't have blood moon magic, and C doesn't have forty generations of wreath wearers inside her head. Long story short, their magic powers are pretty different.

I'm sure the overall plots are very different when you dig deeper into the stories, plus the cast of characters can't be identical. I just hope people will believe me when I say this: I did not copy Chris Howard. He wasn't my inspiration for the Sirena's Children series. I hadn't even heard of Seaborn until long after my series had started.

There. I said it. Believe me or not, but it's the truth.

I will admit that what I've read of Chris Howard's Seaborn comics is well written, artistic, and inspiring. I guess I just found out about them a couple years too late. If only I had just picked a different name or something... sigh. Oh well. I can't change any of it now. Cassie's story is headed in its own unique territory, as you will see this June if you're interested in book three. You can find out more about it on the recently updated books page of my website.

Later folks!